Rhinoplasty Post-Operative Instructions
Nasal surgery is a common type of aesthetic surgery and millions of people opt-out for the nose operation, to improve their nasal aesthetics or to improve nasal breathing. The outcome of these surgeries for a targeted result not only depends on the surgeon. Even the most experienced and skillful surgeon can’t provide you with the best results if you didn’t follow the compulsory instructions during the recovery process.
Thorough this informative guide on nose surgery postoperative care, we tried our best to communicate the caring practices that the patient must follow. It is of utmost importance for the patients to understand that following the instructions about WHAT TO DO and WHAT NOT TO DO will help you achieve the best results from the nose aesthetic surgery. Desirable results from the operation are only possible if you comply with the instructions.
Operational Overview of Nose Surgery:
The Nose surgery is completed, and you are allowed to leave for your home. What you should not forget is that the surgeon has made incision inside your nose. Many times, these incisions are done on the tissue between your nostrils that is a very delicate part. Not only this, more often the cartilage and the bones are operated for new shape and position. All of this happened and there is no fixed packing. Only there is a delicate tape that is possibly a molded plastic that is glued to the outer part of your nose. This tape is holding the bone and cartilage in the new position so that they can heal together. Considering the situation in which your nose is it is in your best interest to follow the below guidelines during your healing process.
What you should do after Nose aesthetic surgery?
- The unavoidable thing is rest. This should limit; only necessary physical activity otherwise you should rest with your head elevated in a recliner. The first two weeks after the surgery welcomes this new position for your head that is maintained with a recliner or two pillows. Make sure that you are not sleeping on either side of the face; prefer to sleep with your head back on the pillow. You can get the comfort with airline type pillow or popular husband pillow that is big and can be extended to your arms for further support. This position should not be compromised in any way for the first two days at least. The very next night after the operation we strongly advise you to use the recliner chair for sleeping.
- You should expect a tolerable amount of pain after the surgery. The Pain Killers which is advised by the surgeon must be taken; either you are feeling pain or not, as they will heal the wound and fasten the healing process. The pain will start decreasing after 3 days but if the pain is persistent or increasing you should contact our staff.
- The blood or mucus from the nose will be running in the form of droplets for the next 24-48 hours. After the nose surgery, we will put a mustache type gauze dressing under your nose that needs to be changed 10-20 times in a day.
- To minimize the swelling and control bruising use the cold compresses continuously. We suggest you; crush the ice and put in a zip lock bag, then put this bag in the towel and gently use it on nose and eyes. This activity should be started right after the operation and you are advised to do it for 15 minutes and rest for 30 minutes, the 2nd day you can rest for 45 minutes after the ice application and you can rest for 1 hour on 3rd day after 15 minutes of cold compress.
- Wear the lightest weight glasses or if you are using contact glasses. You can use them after 2 days of surgery. The glasses can be worn accordingly with our staff advice by putting it on the nasal cast or by taping the glass frame to your forehead.
- Increase your fluid intake and add more raw fruit to your diet. You need to get energy and for that, we advise you not to miss a single meal. The use of general anesthesia in nose surgery has a lasting effect and to minimize it you should take high calorie/protein-rich meal.
- From the day after the Nasal surgery use the saline spray of any brand (Sinomarine Ent or Tonimer). Four times a day with two squirts in each nostril is mandatory, however, you can use as much you want. It is strongly restricted to use any other nasal spray without prior approval from the doctor or Mediface team.
- Use Qtip to apply the Dextrocin pomade inside your nose. If you have an incision between the nostrils due to the requirements of the procedure, we will give you the ointment to apply on that wound. Our nasal surgery involves the use of dissolving sutures and that sutures are only dissolving if they remain wet with the ointment. The process should be continued until the sutures wiped out which normally takes a week.
- After a week make an appointment for the cast removal. We will also clean your nose at your first post-operative visit.
- You will experience the sense of smell got minimize but within a week or two it will be back and this time it will be much better than before.
What you should NOT do after Nose aesthetic surgery?
- Do not blow the nose at least for a week. However, it is not dangerous if you sneak back.
- You can walk but avoid running.
- Don’t lift anything that is more than 5-10 kg, even it’s a baby.
- A complete stop to any sort of Aerobics exercise for a week.
- Do not bend forward with your head down.
- Be careful that your nose won’t be bumped by anything either an elbow or a door.
- Avoid any situation where the probability of nasal strain is possible.
- If it is possible don’t wear the glasses for a week.
- Don’t wear the plastic frame glasses specifically the one that will make assert pressure on the top of your nose. Make sure that you have the large feet of your glasses to get the maximum comfort. If you feel any sort of tenderness while wearing glass for a long period, remove it for an hour or two. This tenderness and discomfort are normal, and this feeling will go away after 3-4 months.
- Don’t drive for 24 hours after the surgery because of the anesthesia in your blood. After that, you can drive but for limited hours until a week.
- Don’t use any type of Nasal spray until you are instructed.
- Limit your sexual activity for a week after the surgery.
- Don’t wash your face and use a napkin to clean your face until your plaster is removed. This is to avoid any sort of water inside the nose.
- If you are wearing an outfit that has to be dressed up from the top make sure it didn’t touch your nose.
The Mediface team is always there to answer your queries.